For comprehensive information on Natural Gas in Alberta, visit Alberta’s Official Natural Gas Information Site.
Advantages of Natural Gas
- Eco-Friendly: Natural gas is cleaner-burning than oil, contributing less to greenhouse gas emissions.
- Cost-Effective and Safe: It is cheaper and safer compared to propane.
- Highly Efficient: The average household consumes around 120 GJ of natural gas per year.
- Versatile Utility: Use natural gas for a range of applications, including heating, cooking, power generation, and even as fuel for vehicles.
Natural Gas in Alberta
- Major Producer: Alberta accounts for approximately 70% of Canada’s total natural gas production.
- Abundant Reserves: In 2012, Alberta’s gas reserves produced 3.7 trillion cubic feet of gas.
- Multi-Use Resource: Natural gas primarily serves industrial applications, electrical generation, and residential heating. More recently, it is also being used as a fuel for vehicles.
- Coal Bed Methane: Alberta is rich in coal bed methane, with estimates of up to 500 trillion cubic feet.
- Extensive Infrastructure: Alberta boasts one of the world’s most extensive natural gas pipeline networks, featuring more than 400,000 kilometers of energy-related pipelines.