Carbon Monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas that can be deadly in high concentrations and is commonly referred to as “The Silent Killer”. It can be released by faulty venting, parts or plugged appliances.
Common symptoms with CO poisoning are the feeling of dizziness, nausea, headaches and flu-like symptoms. If you think that CO is affecting you, get outside to fresh air and call emergency services. If the situation is not an emergency please call the Bow River Gas Co-op at 403-654-2233 and we will come out and inspect the appliance to make sure it is not leaking. The Bow River Gas Co-op has CO testing monitors and will come to your residence at any time to test for CO for you. If you are concerned about the potential of CO poisoning, purchasing a CO Monitor from the Bow River Gas Co-op is a great step to protecting your family. The Bow River Gas Co-op can assist home owners with the installation if needed.
The best way to prevent CO issues is to always use licensed gas fitters when doing repairs on your natural gas appliances and ensuring that your appliances are kept in good working order.